>

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer Palace with Sunny

Top Photo: This is the top of the Summer Palace.  Inside the round building is the famous statue of the women with seven heads and 24 arms!
Bottom Photo: Sunny and me on our way up to the of the mountain.

We are fresh home from China with great memories and experiences.  A new country is always intimidating for me, especially when the language is so foreign.  I am grateful for the warm welcome and care given to us by those we were meeting with.  Since my visit was more in support of Bob I had made plans to work on projects in my hotel room while he went to his meetings.  To my surprise and with some anxiety they had arranged a chaperone by the name of Sunny for me.  We joked that she was to be my protector as she probably weighed in at 95 lbs. and stood 5 feet.  She was to stay with me as long as I needed her.  I think I was more nervous about having to carry on a conversation with her as I was to venture out into the historical sights of Beijing.  Sunny was gracious and soon we were fast friends.  She had a good handle on the history of the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace and I learned much about Buddhism and the different dynasties that ruled China for so long.   I thought what a contrast to modern day Beijing.  So much of what they believe is about harmony, peace, union, prosperity.  As we climbed to the top of the Summer Palace and looked over the great city of Beijing I wandered what Buddha would have thought and the Emperors that lived by his teachings.  Sunny then told me about her grandparents making the pilgrimage to the top of the summer palace where Emperors went alone to pray for their people.  Her grandparents were both in their 80's and the hike up is pretty intense.  Her grandfather was determined to make that journey so that, as the patriarch, he could pray for his family.  So one step at a time and for much of the day they climbed those hundreds of stairs.  In the middle of all the tourists and commerce going on around him, he had his sacred moment.  He continues to practice his faith when most have forgotten or have never been taught.  It was a powerful story for me about enduring to the end and being in the world and not of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment