>

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Garden of Eden


I went to the temple with my daughter-in-law, Lael, this morning.  When I first met Lael, I found it was difficult to pronounce her name so I just called her Lilly. When things got a little more serious with Brad, I decided I was going to have to call her by her real name...and it has been so ever since.  I came upon a thought about the decision of whom to marry after my husband had shared a story with me about a family that has all three of their kids struggling with life choices.  If you choose a good man, dedicated to his faith you are a lucky woman but I don't believe it will have a large effect on their children's testimonies.  However, a young man needs to take extreme care in whom he chooses for a wife for I believe the strength of a child's testimony in the Savior and his gospel is observed, taught and cemented in the strength of the mother.  A good father provides, presides and protects.  A good mother nurtures and at her knee her children will become resolved in their faith.  I have nothing to fear for Kenedi, Cole and Chancy for they have a mother of such testimony.

Here are a few things I learned this morning in my study:
1.  When God placed angels (cherabum) and flaming swords to guard the three of life I simply thought He did not want them to live forever in their sins (Alma 41:3).  Yet in verse 4 he makes it clear that he was "granting time" to man to repent, "a probationary time, a time to repent and serve God."  And though the two thoughts work in concert with each other it was an enhancement of my understanding.  

2.  Alma is counseling his son Shiblon.  He is one of his youngest sons and though a great missionary he has a morality problem with a Lamanite girl by the name of Isabel.  During Alma's interview with his son he perceives that Shiblon feels that "it is injustice that the sinner should be consigned to a state of misery (Alma 42:1)."  Alma then explains the law of justice and the gift of mercy.  Then he says in Alma 42:29 "let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance.  We distract ourselves from the real issue of sin by complaining about the doctrine that would, if we were obedient, take away our sin.  

I love my family and hope that today you are all well...


No comments:

Post a Comment