>

Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Pros and Cons of Christmas...




The best part of Christmas...
Brad comes out to create a little chaos and fun with a snowball fight. Well, it was fun for Brad.
Katy bundled up all the kids and took them out to play in the snow. They are getting warm in the treehouse.
Christmas Eve PJ's. Katy's and Annies were onesies that were "form fitting". We had to get creative on the angle of the camera.
The only serious picture they took...
Gingerbread house made by the grandkids. It looked nothing like the picture on the box.

It has been some time since I have posted. I will blame it on Christmas. For all my silent (well, I'm not always silent about it) complaining about the stress of this holiday I seem never to have the courage to do anything about it. I love the family time but the endless lists of what not to forget distracts me. The closest I got to the "true meaning of Christmas" was attending Chelsee's sacrament Christmas program. She sang "Mary's Lullaby". Her voice brings life back into a tired song. They quoted some of Hollands talk about the man Joseph and the woman Mary. I was reminded of the strength of character they had by submitting to their part of the "plan". His humility and courage, her obedience and...courage. We see the circumstances into which the Savior was born and are in awe of it's symbolism. A baby, a humble manger, shepherds and no one to help Mary but Joseph. But I wonder if Mary looked at the condition in which she was to bring the Savior into the world and feel like this surely was not the plan. Did Joseph wonder "Why in Bethlehem and why now?" Why not in Nazareth where Mary's mom was? Two thousand years later and we still deal with the same perplexing questions. Why here?Why now? Is this a part of the plan...really? And so we learn from those that have gone before us how to follow in faith.
We did have our first official nativity program with our grandchildren. Unfortunately I could not find my camera until after it was over. It was darling. Our only challenge was that Cole (one of the wise men) kept trying to pick up the baby Jesus. Kenedi tried to stop him at which he protested..."No Mary!!!" Elli was the angel and she stood in front with her back to us to watch the little play and Chancy got stage fright. Other then that, Ethan made a great Joseph by putting his arm around Mary and making sure she was settled in. Mary (Kenedi) was careful to place Jesus (a stuffed animal, I'm going to have to work on that for next year) in the basket. Wesley played the part of the other wise man to perfection. A special thanks goes to the directors, producers and costume designers...Chelsee, Katy and Annie.
And now the new year which always comes seamlessly. Can't really tell the difference to tell you the truth but it does motivate me to think about my life and what needs to be improved. Bob and I are coming up with a bucket list. Bob's is about things he wants to accomplish and mine is about things I want to do. Interesting...

How was your Christmas?

1 comment:

  1. It's so lovely to have enough grandchildren around you to field a entire Christmas Eve nativity. I really envy you. I highly doubt that will ever happen in my sad long distance grandparenting life. I could hope to have the courage of Mary in the trials we have to face daily. It would mean we, too, are highly favored of the Lord. Loved your thoughts and yes, I did have a very nice Christmas with a few of my grown-up children.

    ReplyDelete