>

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sea Cucumber anyone?





The people here have been so kind. OK, so maybe not the taxi cab drivers. I learned that though their voice inflections are severe...and a bit raised...that is just the way they communicate. They could be proclaiming there undying love to someone and sound like they wanted to punch them in the nose. This was something I had to get use to. We did get to experience more of the food eaten by the locals.It is always a bit risky. I was able to get through almost every meal without too much anxiety. Bob on the other hand had a business dinner that defied all logic. This particular blog is not for those with tender stomachs...so ye be warned! The picture of Bob and I is at a restaurant used by the locals. The black things were fungus. Yes, I just kept telling myself..."it's a mushroom". It didn't help.Bob had the opportunity to be served a "sea cucumber" at a business dinner (no I was not there). He asked if it was a vegetable and much to his dismay his host said...No...it's a worm. They mine it from the bottom of the ocean and it is a rare delicacy. They take out all the insides, make it into a chunky gravy and serve the flesh of the worm, whole, on top. Hmmm...yummy. The picture that looks like a cucumber...yes that is what they served him and no he did not eat it...well one small tiny bite just to be polite.
As always it is good to be back home. I could not blog while in Beijing cyberspace so here it is ... a bit late and forgetting something I'm sure.
My next blog will be about fish you catch from the "top" of the ocean like salmon...
Loves...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that worm thing was really disturbing. I had nightmares about it last night. This is why I will never travel to Asia. I am too big a sissy. I am so glad you are home safe and sound. Everytime you travel I worry about you and Dad. Loves-

    ReplyDelete