>

Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Strength against the day"



Kendra and Nathan came to visit us here in Arizona several weeks ago.   Every moment can hold a moment of inspiration if we are open to it.  Mine was one morning at breakfast.  Kendra and Nathan made breakfast because I am such a good hostess?!  We sat down and I had Nathan offer a blessing on the food.  He was doing all the work that morning apparently....I hope I did the dishes at least.  It was a just a few words buried in the prayer that caught my attention and my heart.  He asked that the food "give us strength against the day".  He didn't say "for" the day.  He said "against" the day.  That's different.  I have given this much thought since. This earthly experience was never meant to be easy...each day requires some strength to get through it.  It feels like an emotional friction.  
Where is my source of strength?  
  • Loving my grandchild
  • Laughing with my husband
  • Holding my daughters hand when we are walking
  • Going to the temple with Lael and Chelsee
  • Time with God
  • Music
  • A clean home
  • A chance to help
  • Faithful observances
  • Faithful friends
  • Faithful family
  • My sister
  • Lunch with my daughters
  • Convincing Wesley and Cole that Grandmas kisses are "precious" not "pooky".
  • Fall in my gardens
  • When my son teaches
My greatest hope is that I not rob anyone "strength against the day" with words that I may say but that they leave feeling encouraged and ready to fight the friction around them...  

Thanks Nathan for inspiring me with your prayer. 

Much love to all that reads this...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, and I get to pray with him SEVERAL times a day. No I'm not bragging...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I found your blog, and I have to say that the way you write is so elegant and truthful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your life and example has provided many of us with strength against the day. Your roots go deep and I love you for the shelter you provide for so many of us, from our personal storms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, my dear friend, are very profound in your thinking and writing. I need to do a bit more deep thinking. Mostly I just try to make it through another day - the economy has shown no mercy.

    ReplyDelete