>

Wednesday, June 10, 2009


It seems as though my blog has a lot about Annie.  It has been an eventful few weeks and now we have her settled into BYUH.  The week was full of different adventures.  Bob had only one rule.  If it had blue in it (water or sky) he could not participate...only in the green (driving in the car and sight seeing).  Our first full day was Sunday and so we spent it driving and exploring the island of Oahu.  We eventually made our way to the campus and drove around to get a feel for it.  It is a beautiful campus but smaller than I had anticipated.  The landscape was beautiful and the ocean just across the street wasn't bad either.  We were able to see the Hawaii Temple.  To Annies disappointment it is closed until 2010.  But the grounds were awesome and a great place to get some quiet which is Annies favorite thing next to hangin with her fam.  Annie and I spent several days walking the beach and eating...yes...hamburgers by the pool.  I confess I did not like Waikiki very much.  Though it was not that busy, it was packed with hotels and shops. There would be no authentic Hawaiin experience in this location.  In part of our "green" activities we found a beautiful beach on the other side of the island and made it a point to return the next day.  Annie and I went ocean kayaking.  We were pros until the very end when we got parallel to a wave and capsized.  OK, the ocean there is VERY salty!  Bob laid on a blanket under a large tree in the shade.  He burnt anyway.  
We flew to the big island of Hawaii and drove all the way around it...yes all the way around it.  I can see why no one likes to vacation there.  It was a giant island made up of black lava.  On the Kona side of the island it was desolate.  Bob was so excited to see this island but upon our return in his prayers he openly admits it was a disappointment by saying..."and thank you that we could arrive back safe from that big ugly island."  I concur.  The next day was great because Annie and I were able to go parasailing.  She got to go up twice because there was a 25 year old Russian man that did not have a companion and it was a two seater.  The ocean out that far and so high was so beautiful.  I was a little disappointed that it took no skill.  I cannot brag of bravery because it took none.  Then the dreaded day of taking Annie to school came.  She was nervous, I knew what was ahead for me emotionally.  We arrived on campus at 3:00 to find that part of the campus had shut down early on freshman orientation...they said it was "Aloha Friday", which means we get to go home before all the freshman are organized.  So we spent the rest of our precious two hours left and made sure she could eat, get into her room and paid her tuition.  She would have to handle the rest all by herself.  Saying goodbye was just as hard as the first time I had to do it with Jessica...it just never got easier.   The hardest moment was when we were taking off.  I felt the plane lift I knew I had left the land in which Annie would be living.  It felt as though the umbilical cord was being severed for the last time.  I was trying to suppress my silent sobs when at the very second the plane lifted off I got a text from her.  This is what is said... "I love you so much.  I am fine, all is well and I have full confidence that I will soar beautifully through the next few months".   God does send his tender mercies at just the right moment.  And now I am home and adjusting to an empty nest.  So the truth is...it's not that bad.  I am rather enjoying the quiet without worry of where my child is and when they will be home.  Perhaps I will grow weary of the silence but for now I am doing better then expected...another tender mercy.  

The mountain behind Annie is where the final battle for a united Hawaii took place.  The opposing tribe was forced to the edge of these cliffs and they all fell to their deaths.  History is gruesome sometimes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment